Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Whites

I'm through the White Mountains and had a blast. The weather wasn't very cooperative most days but I did get 2 good days with some nice views. My first 2 days I saw nothing but clouds, mist and fog. Very windy on top above the tree line. 3rd day sun came out and had a nice day, but I was below tree line most o the day until the end when I got a cool sunset. Day 4 the clouds rolled in again and decided to only do 9 miles to try and summit Mt. Washington on a better day. Stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut, had to do some dishes in order to spend the night because guest can pay up to $100 to stay at one of these Huts. As a thru-hiker we get to eat the leftovers for dinner and then breakfast in the morning. We have to sleep on the dinning room floor but it was still nice. Summited Mt. Washington the next morning in worse weather. 50 mph winds with 60-65 mph gusts. Had a blast. The rest of the presidential range was windy and in the fog. Spent the night on top of a mountain, as very windy but in the Mormon had an awesome view of the Presidential Range. Spent the entire day with an amazing view of the Whites.

Tomorrow I will be heading into Maine. As of tonight I have just under 300 miles to go. Should be finishing up around the 16th of August.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Maine already! Seems like you just began! See you in a few weeks when you are all done, can't wait to here about all of you adventures!

    ReplyDelete