Monday, August 15, 2011

The End of a Journey

So today I finished up my Appalachian Trail hike with a summit of Mount Katahdin in Maine. It has been a wonderful trip and can't really believe it's over.

As for the last part, I have to say it was very exciting, rewarding, and memorable. As most of you know my plan was to summit the 16th but mother nature decided to interject. Sunday was my last big day, 33.2 miles setting me up for an easy 13 miles to the base and then a good 5.2 miles up the following day. However, I got a weather report saying Monday would be the better day, so me and this other hiker decided to push in early and summit on Monday, you can't start to climb after 11:00. Got up later then I wanted to and arrived at the base at 11:04, ranger let me go up. 5.2 miles and 4,200 feet of elevation gain.

1st mile was pure adrenaline. 2nd mile was where the climb really began. Some rocky parts, little steep but not bad. 3rd mile I got above tree line with hand over hand climbing, was mostly a blur. 4th mile was a steep incline that was challenging but the views were amazing looking to either side. 5th mile the adrenaline kicked in and the terrain leveled out but seemed like it took forever. The peak was in a cloud so I could only see maybe 25-50 feet in front. But when I saw the sign for the top my heart began to race and I bounded up those last feet. Throng know if I can really describe the feeling but it was awesome, joyful and just plain happy. Cracked open a beer and relaxed knowing I had finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment